You are not currently viewing the most recent
Banff World Media Festival.
Go to Banff World Media Festival 2022
You are not currently viewing the most recent Banff World Media Festival. Go to Banff World Media Festival 2022.
2020 Press Releases
- Press Release: Banff Spark Accelerator for Women in the Business of Media Is Announcing a New Partnership With strategy
- Press Release: 2020 Rockie Awards International Program Competition Winners Announced
- Press Release: 2020 Diversity Of Voices Participants
- Press Release: Le Nom Des Participants À L’initiative Diversité Des Voix 2020
- Press Release: BANFF DAY June 16th to open with keynote from Minister of Canadian Heritage Steven Guilbeault
- Press Release: Banff Rockies Awards 2020
- Press Release: BANFF Spark announces 2nd cohort, Super Channel joins initiative as Founding Industry Partner
- Press Release: Banff World Media Festival Announces 2020 Virtual Edition
- News prior to in-person festival cancellation due to COVID-19
- Press Release: 2020 Rockie Awards International Program Competition Nominees Announced
- Advisory: The 2020 festival has been cancelled due to COVID-19. Please click here for more infomation
- Press Release: Media mogul Mo Abudu joins Summit series keynote lineup at the Banff World Media Festival
- Press Release: Minister of Canadian Heritage Steven Guilbeault to give the opening keynote at BANFF, June 14-17, 2020
- Press Release: Ted Sarandos to keynote as part of the Banff World Media Festival's Summit Series
- Press Release: BANFF Announces Inaugural Participants of BANFF Spark Accelerator
2019 Press Releases
- Media: 2019 Press Coverage
- Press Release: 2019 BANFF World Media Festival - Media Advisory
- Press Release: BANFF World Media Festival announces Rockie Awards Hosts and Gala Award Recipients
- Press Release: BANFF announces an exclusive In Conversation session with Bill Hader and Amy Gravitt
- Press Release: Bodyguard, Line of Duty showrunner Jed Mercurio to speak at BANFF 2019
- Press Release: BANFF 2019: Master Class, Surviving R. Kelly
- Press Release: Paul Feig and Sarah Barnett to keynote BANFF's Summit Series
- Press Release: 2019 Rockie Awards International Program Competition Nominees Announced
- Press Release: Paula Kerger to keynote BANFF's Summit Series
- Press Release: Jeffrey Katzenberg to keynote BANFF's Summit Series
- Press Release: Randy Lennox named Banff World Media Festival Chair of the Board
- Press Release: BANFF World Media Festival Announces New Executive Director
- Press Release: NETFLIX-BANFF Diversity of Voices (ENG)
- Press Release: NETFLIX-BANFF Diversity of Voices (FR)
BANFF Announces First In-Person Indigenous Screen Summit
Exploring Indigenous ideas, perspectives and representations on screen
A new 'festival within the festival' launching Sunday June 12 (8:30 am - 1:00 pm MT) with a Pitch Forum showcasing Indigenous-led scripted films, drama series and comedy projects in development presented to a panel of Canadian and International buyers and funders, along with an industry audience.
Access included with the 2022 BANFF Festival pass
Throughout BANFF 2022, we will bring together Indigenous entertainment industry professionals from Canada and around the world, seeking to connect with partners, explore trends, create opportunities and amplify Indigenous voices through screen storytelling in the global market.
"The first in person Indigenous Screen Summit provides a unique opportunity for Indigenous media professionals to meet face to face with colleagues within their circles of film and television," said Nicole Robertson, Content Producer with the Indigenous Screen Summit for the Banff World Media Festival. "Our Indigenous Worldview is about relationships with the world around us. It's important to develop these partnerships at BANFF, so the future generations can see themselves reflected in upcoming movies, television series and all media endeavours."
"The continued rise and momentum of Indigenous content production is gaining increased attention from audiences and industry in Canada and around the world. This is an exciting space for Indigenous storytellers and professionals to share new ideas and connect with Banff World Media Festival participants," said Kerry Swanson, ISO Co-Executive Director.
"The CMF is delighted to support this first in-person Indigenous Screen Summit, providing an opportunity for outstanding Indigenous creators to take their stories and ideas to the next level," said Valerie Creighton, President and CEO, CMF. "The CMF made a strong commitment to remove barriers in the industry and support talented Indigenous creators, helping them share their stories with audiences around the world. This initiative will help do exactly that."
The Indigenous Screen Summit, first launched virtually in 2021, was created to shine a light on the diverse talent and exciting screen content being created by Indigenous storytellers in Canada. It will facilitate conversation and empower the goals of Indigenous entertainment industry professionals from Canada and around the world, seeking to connect partners, explore trends, create opportunities, and amplify Indigenous screen storytelling on a global stage.
In partnership with:
Netflix's Head of Global TV Bela Bajaria and Participant's CEO David Linde join the Summit Series lineup
Don't miss insights on the future of the industry, programming opportunities and unique content strategies from two of the most accomplished and inspiring entertainment executives in the business
Bela Bajaria was named Head of Global TV for Netflix in 2020, overseeing all English language and local language scripted and unscripted series around the world. Bajaria leads the team for all of television, responsible for hit series including Bridgerton, MAID, Stranger Things, Lupin and Squid Game.
David Linde is CEO of Participant, the leading global media company dedicated to entertainment that inspires and compels social change. Linde is responsible for leading the company's overall strategy, content creation, social impact, operations, strategic investments and acquisitions.
The BANFF Summit Series is a curated lineup of keynotes featuring global players who are shaping the future of the media industry.
"We are beyond excited about Bela and David joining us at BANFF this June," said BANFF Board Chair and Lionsgate Television Group Chair Kevin Beggs. "The incredible line-up of speakers, award recipients, and talent reinforce what we have been saying for years now - The Banff World Media Festival is the 'it' gathering for global content creators. See you in June!"
The 2022 Festival agenda kicks off with two keynote announcements
Universal Studio Group's Chairman Pearlena Igbokwe joins as the first Summit Series keynote speaker
Igbokwe leads four powerhouse studios: Universal Television, UCP, Universal Television Alternative Studios and Universal International Studios that produce over 3,000 hours of programming currently airing or streaming around the globe.
The In Conversation series kicks off with a keynote by the Dean of Brown University's School of Public Health Dr. Ashish K. Jha and Fiore Group's Founder & CEO Frank Giustra
Join us for an exclusive conversation with leading global health and pandemic expert Dr. Ashish K. Jha and renowned philanthropist and entrepreneur Frank Giustra to discuss the impact of mis/disinformation on public awareness and the responsibility of media and entertainment platforms to combat it.
"BANFF is back, bigger and better than ever," said BANFF Board Chair and Lionsgate Television Group Chair Kevin Beggs. "We couldn't think of more fitting speakers to kick off the festivities than the head of Brown University's School of Public Health, Dr. Ashish Jha, a visionary leader who has given useful and politics-free advice to millions during the pandemic; Frank Giustra, founder of Lionsgate which has grown from a start-up in 1999 to a leading content, distribution, and platform studio today, and who was recently named Co-Chair of the Crisis Group; and Pearlena Igbokwe, Chair of Universal Television Group, one of the most prolific television studios operating in Hollywood today."
Lionsgate's Kevin Beggs announced as the new Chair of the BANFF Television Festival Foundation Board of Directors
Kevin Beggs, Television Group Chair of global content leader Lionsgate (NYSE: LGF.A, LGF.B), has been elected Chair of BANFF's Board of Directors. He succeeds renowned executive Randy Lennox who served as Chair of the Board for three years.
"As a longtime Board member and participant in this prestigious and exciting festival, I'm deeply honored to be named Chair of BANFF's Board of Directors," said Beggs. "BANFF brings together the best of the best of the international screen industry and content producers from all corners of the globe. I look forward to continuing to work with the incredible BANFF team in making BANFF the must-attend television event of the year."
"One of the industry's most respected executives, Kevin has been a long-time board member and a genuine champion of the festival in Hollywood and around the world. It's an honour to welcome him as our new Chair. His creative vision and passion for the business is a perfect match to help us to continue delivering on the festival's mandate to grow and serve the industry," said BANFF's Executive Director, Jenn Kuzmyk.
A 23-year veteran of Lionsgate and a member of its corporate senior management team, Beggs has spearheaded the strategic expansion of the Company's television production operations into one of the largest independent television businesses in the world and guided the Television Group's growth into a leading supplier of premium content for streaming, cable and broadcast networks.
Recent additions to BANFF's board of directors include Brenda Gilbert, co-founder and president, Bron Media; Jennifer Kim, SVP, international originals, HBO Max; and Lisa Meeches, founder and executive producer, Eagle Vision, joining Colin Bohm, EVP, content and corporate strategy, Corus Entertainment; John Brunton, chairman and CEO, executive producer, Insight Productions; Sally Catto, general manager, entertainment, factual and sports, CBC; Sean Cohan, chief growth officer and president, international, Nielsen Company; Tom Cox, executive producer, SEVEN24 Films; Valerie Creighton, president and CEO, Canada Media Fund; Sandra Dewey, board of directors, BANFF Television Festival Foundation; Scott Henderson, communications executive; Ira Levy, president and executive producer, Breakthrough Entertainment; Stephen MacDonald, president, global content licensing and international, A+E Networks; Blair Miller, VP, products and content, TELUS STORYHIVE; and Robin Mirsky, executive director, Rogers Group of Funds.